Rounding out our second month on the road, we started week eight by finishing off our northern U.S. 5-park circle. After visiting Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks the previous week, we found that Theodore Roosevelt National Park — a park we’d never heard of until we spotted it on the map — was an unexpected gem of wildlife large and small.
Once we’d had our fill of bison and prairie dogs, we headed back toward the Windy City, paying a brief visit to one of my oldest friends along the way, and returned to Chicago just in time to celebrate the 4th of July with a totally unique fireworks viewing experience from the Chicago river.
Note: I’m still catching up on our weekly road trip re-caps! This one covers June 28 – July 5.
States Visited This Week
- North Dakota
*just passing through
States Visited in Previous Weeks
- Week One: California, Nevada, Arizona
- Week Two: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
- Week Three: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri
- Week Four – Six: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota
- Week Seven: Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alberta (Canada)
Total States Visited So Far: 19
California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park, ND
- Minneapolis, MN
- Chicago, IL
- Visiting with one of my old friends from middle school (and her new puppy) on our way through Minneapolis
- Prairie dogs galore in Theodore Roosevelt National Park
- Kayaking through downtown Chicago at night on the 4th of July
Notes and Insights
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park is the best place for prairie dog watching we’ve ever seen!
- It’s impossible to look attractive when capturing the blowing dandelion photo.
- If you ever have the opportunity to kayak through a city, DO IT! It’s an experience unlike any other!
Week 9-12 Preview
- Settling in to our month-long road trip “break” in Chicago
- Getting creative with jewelry making and leather camera strap crafts
- Homemade beer brewing with my twin brother
- Visiting Ian’s parents at the Osh Kosh air show in Wisconsin
- Playing DOTA (a video game) probably a little too much…
I hope you enjoyed this U.S. road trip re-cap! In case you missed them, check out our other weekly recaps from our road trip. Have you road-tripped to any of these U.S. locations? Tell us about your trips in the comments.
For the latest news and photos from our travels, follow us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter below!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.