What do you get when you combine fire, truckloads of Christmas trees, ample libations, a 10-ball roman candle, Santa, a full-size school bus, an acoustic guitar, and a ton of people you know — plus even more you don’t know — summing up to a crowd of (probably) over 100 people? (Did anyone count?)
A recipe for disaster? Maybe. But we survived. And the answer’s not Burning Man, either. But it’s similar… (read on to find out!)
On Saturday, January 24, Ian and I attended our friends’ annual Christmas Tree Burn out in Jawbone Canyon, California. What is the Tree Burn, you ask? Well, it starts like this: After Christmas, trees are collected en masse (like The Grinch, but polite enough to wait ’til the holiday’s through). They’re then bundled and stored for almost a full month before being trucked 117 long miles from LA to the desert to create one epic fire that will burn from dusk til sunrise. And it’s not just the fire that draws the crowd. Jawbone is a desert wasteland of sorts, which makes it the perfect setting for dirt bikes, gunfire, and the inevitability that at least one person will try to jump over the fire this year.
Other shenanigans from this year’s tree burn may or may not be documented in a video to be released at a later date. If you want to see a video, please feel welcome to make a racket in the comments at the bottom.
I hope you enjoyed this shot of the week! Check back next week or subscribe on the right for more photos and videos from our travels.
Want to see more? View our previous shot of the week posts here.
This post was handcrafted for you during our travels in Los Angeles.
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Iceland2019.05.11Hanna Mia’s Icelandic Music and Storytelling: The best reviewed experience in Iceland lives up to its ratings
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.17[VIDEO] Camper Van Build Tour
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.11Camper Van Update: Our First Trip!
- Books and Reading2019.01.2119 Books to Inspire You to Follow Your Dreams, Be Yourself, and Get Sh*t Done in the New Year