A Photographical Tour through the Dusty Playa of Burning Man 2014
Despite our 2 mask-free days after the rain gods asserted their rule over the land, the dust surely took flight with vigor for the second half of this year’s burn.
Our plans for a Monday morning ingress were foiled by puddles — rain hit Black Rock City hard — so we drudgingly turned around just 9 miles from the gate. On Tuesday we had better luck and were welcomed home by sunshine, a very short wait, and more than one lightning-bolt-meets-burner tale from those who endured the storm inside the gates. Though we’d unnecessarily driven 300 miles round trip from Reno the day before, sleeping in a real bed Monday night seemed to have been our most favorable option.
But now, we were glad to be home.
We were hit by the first micro dust storm on our first venture out — midday Tuesday sometime — but I didn’t really experience that overwhelming one-with-the-dust feeling til Friday, post Embrace burn and well into the afternoon. Below is a selection of our favorite dust-filled frames from Burning Man 2014. We hope you enjoy viewing as much as we did experiencing! (All shots taken on a Sony a7S, except as noted below. All photos by Ian Norman and Diana Southern of North to South.)
Above: Our friends Sydney and Dave pose for sunset portraits
Above left: Me in my goggles atop Cosmic Praise by Douglas Ruuska
Above: View of the Man from Cosmic Praise by Douglas Ruuska
Above: View of the Man from Embrace by The Pier Group (Sony a6000)
- Cameras: Sony a7S + Sony a6000
- Lenses: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 Nokton, Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21mm f/4.0 Pancake Lens + Sony E 20mm f/2.8
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Alabama2017.01.23U.S. Road Trip Re-Cap: Week Twenty-Two (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas)
- Florida2017.01.20U.S. Road Trip Re-Cap: Week Twenty-One (Georgia and Florida)
- North Carolina2017.01.18U.S. Road Trip Re-Cap: Week Twenty (Tennessee and the Carolinas)
- Travel Life2017.01.16Our Year in Review: Backpacking, Campervanning and Getting Engaged