After our much needed road trip break in Chicago, we set our sights on exploring the Northeast. Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania were all checked off this week of our road trip, as we made our way to New England. And we saw a good amount of ultra-green midwestern farmland along our route. Take a look at our journey from Chicago to Pittsburgh on week thirteen of our trip!
Note: I’m still catching up on our weekly road trip re-caps! This one covers August 2-8.
States Visited This Week
*just passing through
States Visited in Previous Weeks
- Week One: California, Nevada, Arizona
- Week Two: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
- Week Three: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri
- Week Four – Six: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota
- Week Seven: Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alberta (Canada)
- Week Eight: North Dakota back to Chicago
- Week Nine – Twelve: Chicago & Oshkosh
Total States Visited So Far: 23
California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Dynamic Perception (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Mellon University (Ian’s alma mater)
- trying a Primanti Bros. sandwich — which comes with french fries and cole slaw ON it — in Pittsburgh
- Ian visiting Dynamic Perception, makers of the slider we used in the making of our On Photographing the Milky Way video
- visiting Ian’s friends from college in Pittsburgh
- taking a self-guided bike tour through Pittsburgh
- an introduction to the “Yinzer” accent of Pittsburgh
Notes and Insights
- Zingerman’s Coffee Company in Ann Arbor, MI is now one of my favorite coffee places in the entire U.S.
- Burning Man tickets are best bought in advance (not that we didn’t already know that, but we were reminded when we weren’t able to get tickets in this year’s OMG Sale).
- Ticket to Ride is now one of our favorite board games! Especially the Nordic Countries Edition that we played. Thanks to our Pittsburgh friends for introducing it to us!
Week 14 Preview
- Visiting Hershey Chocolate World in Hershey, Pennsylvania (and staying with an extremely hospitable Airbnb host with the most difficult-to-understand American accent I’ve ever heard)
- My first visit to New York City and our week-long Airbnb stay in Brooklyn
- A visit to B&H Photo, aka photographers’ heaven in NYC
- Exploring NYC on a budget during our week in the city
I hope you enjoyed this U.S. road trip re-cap! In case you missed them, check out our other weekly recaps from our road trip. Have you road-tripped to any of these U.S. locations? Tell us about your trips in the comments.
For the latest news and photos from our travels, follow us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter below!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Alabama2017.01.23U.S. Road Trip Re-Cap: Week Twenty-Two (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas)
- Florida2017.01.20U.S. Road Trip Re-Cap: Week Twenty-One (Georgia and Florida)
- North Carolina2017.01.18U.S. Road Trip Re-Cap: Week Twenty (Tennessee and the Carolinas)
- Travel Life2017.01.16Our Year in Review: Backpacking, Campervanning and Getting Engaged