Did you know a group of elk is called a gang? (I didn’t until I looked it up 30 seconds ago.)
Back in June, Ian and I took a road trip across the western U.S. to my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. And while we were there I took him to one of my favorite places in the area: Lone Elk Park. When I used to go as a kid, we’d see maybe one or two each time we drove through. And rarely any bison. But this time, I made sure we drove down all the side roads to visit every nook and cranny of the park.
I’m glad we did, too, because we found most of these gangly fellows after turning off the main park road. Below are several elk portraits we took during our visit. Hope you enjoy!
Those are some beefy looking antlers!
This was one of our last trips with our Fuji X-T1… Looking through these photos makes me kind of miss it. But I am very happy with my marmot video from last week at Mt Rainier NP.
As Exciting as it Gets
Check out this extremely uneventful video of this elk at the park.
While Lone Elk County Park admittedly isn’t a super exciting place, I definitely wouldn’t call it boring. It’s a fantastic opportunity to see these animals up close!
I should note that we did see a bison rolling (eeee!), but I couldn’t get the camera out in time to capture it. Oh well, next time! Here’s a photo of one of his friends, instead.
If you enjoyed these photos, please share this post with your friends on Facebook or Twitter.
Have you visited Lone Elk Park or another place like it? Please fill us in below in the comments!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Travel Gear2018.11.20North to South’s Gear of the Year 2018
- Colorado2018.11.13A Magical Morning at Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge (Denver, Colorado)
- Florida2018.10.30The Best and Worst Rides and Attractions at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (Orlando, Florida)
- Nevada2018.10.28Burning Man 2018: Portraits of a Camp