Seasons to Wear ‘Em: fall, winter + spring
When you’re a minimalist traveler shopping for shoes, quality is extremely important. Early this year, I needed boots for a trip to Norway. They had to withstand cold temps, rain, and possibly snow. I’ve never put as much effort into a shoe search than I did for these boots. And my efforts were well rewarded. I found myself a warm, waterproof, quality boot that was also stylish!
When these arrived, I immediately loved them. They were clearly high quality, and with a side-zip design they were very easy to put on. They’re definitely a cold weather boot, so I haven’t worn them since wearing them for a month in Norway, but 30 days straight in the same shoe was proof to me that this is a fantastic boot. My feet never got wet, despite splashing around in puddles, slush, and ankle deep snow.
UPDATE: It’s now November 2015, and these boots are doing their job in Alaska!
I’ve got these in dark brown (“mocha”), but they also come in black and white, for a totally different look. They’re a bit pricey — $190 — but believe me, they’re worth every penny. Mine still look brand new.
A rundown of my experience with this shoe:
- Where they’ve been: Fjord Norway, Berlin, Alaska
- What they’ve done best: Walking or hiking in cold or wet weather, cold weather sailing, stomping around in snow and slush, and they’re surprisingly comfortable when riding a bicycle, too.
- Where they’re not so hot: In your suitcase. They take up a lot of room, especially compared to my Sanuk flip flops and Merrell trail runners. I wear these on the plane to save packing space. Also, I’d imagine these would be pretty uncomfortable in hot weather, but I can’t say that I’ve tried.
- What’s great about them: They’re both cute AND comfortable (yay!) and they keep my feet warm. They’re leather, so they’ll last forever. Wear with a pair of wool socks and you’re set for winter. Any pants style works with these, too. Leggings, jeans (skinny, straight or boot cut — tuck ‘em in or leave ‘em out), rain pants, whatever.
Color Lineup: white, black, mocha, falcon (UPDATE: See new available colors via links below.)
Where to Buy
Have you tried the Decora Chant or another stylish and durable winter boot that you’ve liked? Share your thoughts on this boot in the comments below.
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.07.155 Exciting New Additions to Our Van
- Iceland2019.05.11Hanna Mia’s Icelandic Music and Storytelling: The best reviewed experience in Iceland lives up to its ratings
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.17[VIDEO] Camper Van Build Tour
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.11Camper Van Update: Our First Trip!