- When: March 2014
- Where: Stord, Norway (View on Google Maps)
- Booking: Airbnb (Get a discount off your first stay with our link!)
On our first trip abroad together, we found a fantastic place to stay!
Nestled on the island of Stord in Fjord Norway, a short bike ride to the Leirvik town center, was the cozy and stylish Scandinavian home of our Airbnb hosts Davide and Maiju. They were both very welcoming, and though neither were Norwegian, we enjoyed getting some exposure to both the Finnish and Italian languages during our stay. (Not to mention all the fantastic and interesting people we had the pleasure of meeting as a result of staying with them!)
If you’re planning a visit to the area, I highly recommend staying with them if the room’s available. View Davide and Maiju’s listing on Airbnb here.
SCANDINAVIAN STYLE WITH SEA & MOUNTAIN VIEWS
One of my favorite parts of their home was their Scandinavian style living room, with a wood-burning fireplace perfect for chilly and rainy days spent indoors.
And the view from the window? Amazing. On a clear day you can see straight past Leirvik and the massive fjords to the snow-capped mountains across the way.
THE SIMPLICITY OF SCANDINAVIAN INTERIOR DESIGN
If you like the look of Maiju and Davide’s living room as much as I do, check out my Scandinavian Simplicity post on my interior design blog EclecticNarwhal.com. There I’ve compiled photos and links to the furniture and decor similar to what you see in this room, so you can achieve this look in your space!
We felt at home right away, as we settled in to our private room on the first floor, cheerfully decorated with bright colors and Moomintrolls. And of course we became well acquainted with the espresso machine in the room.
WHAT IS MOOMINTROLL?
That’s not a hippo, it’s Moomintroll! – Maiju (our Airbnb host)
For Americans, I’d liken the Moomintroll character’s popularity to Mickey Mouse. There’s even a theme park, Moomin World, in Finland, the Moomin family’s homeland.
Moomintroll is a dreamer and a thinker, and the maverick vagabond Snufkin is his best friend.
Moomintroll loves Moominmamma and his family above all else. There’s no problem that Moominmamma can’t solve. And when Moominpappa invents a good excuse for an adventure, Moomintroll is always eager to tag along. When Snorkmaiden becomes his girlfriend, Moomintroll learns that love can sometimes make you feel wistful and even downright sad.
Read more on moomin.com.
The Moomin family appeared in the kitchen of our HAFH (home away from home) on kid-sized dishes for their 1.5-year-old. But Moomin’s not just for kids. Adult-sized Moomin mugs were also in the cabinet, and we even had some framed Moomin art in our room!
STARRY NIGHT VIEWS FROM THE BACKYARD
Nighttime was perfect for stargazing, whenever the clouds gave way. We took the below photo from the backyard deck one night in mid March, sometime around midnight.
We also took a couple late night trips around the island to get some even darker skies.
A FEW MORE PHOTOS OF THE AREA
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Books and Reading2019.01.2119 Books to Inspire You to Follow Your Dreams, Be Yourself, and Get Sh*t Done in the New Year
- Travel Life2019.01.14Our Year in Review: New Heights, New Wheels, and a Refreshed Photography Focus 
- Travel Life2019.01.11We Bought a Van! And this is our plan…
- Travel Gear2018.11.20North to South’s Gear of the Year 2018