June 1, 2014
ABOUT THE SALTON SEA
This vast, shallow desert lake is the largest in California, with higher salinity levels than the Pacific Ocean. With no outflow, salinity levels continue to rise, creating an ecosystem in which few species of fish can live.
BEAUTY IN STILLNESS
The still lake water makes for a great view, displaying a mirror-like reflection of what’s above. But with an aroma ranging from faintly fishy to putrid, it’s no wonder the Salton Sea is no longer a popular weekend destination. There was one family spending the day fishing there, but otherwise it was a desolate, eerily peaceful place.
Walking down to shore, we weren’t too surprised to discover it was more than just seashells that were crunching under our feet. Fishbones were scattered about the shore, accompanied by fish carcasses at various stages of decomposition.
A TOLERABLE STINK
There were only one or two fish that had recently turned belly-up. Most others appeared to be more than a month old, already nestling into the sandy shoreline, so the fishy smell was at a tolerable level during our 30-minute stop.
A BEAUTIFUL, DISGUSTING PLACE TO VISIT
If you’re nearby, it’s definitely worth the short trip, but don’t plan on spending more than an hour there. (That is, unless you’re into birds, in which case you’ll likely enjoy a visit to the Wildlife Refuge at the south end of the lake.)
Visit the Salton Sea Authority for more information on the current restoration and revitalization efforts for the Salton Sea.
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Iceland2019.05.11Hanna Mia’s Icelandic Music and Storytelling: The best reviewed experience in Iceland lives up to its ratings
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.17[VIDEO] Camper Van Build Tour
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.11Camper Van Update: Our First Trip!
- Books and Reading2019.01.2119 Books to Inspire You to Follow Your Dreams, Be Yourself, and Get Sh*t Done in the New Year