We’re finally on the road after two months of work on the campervan, and after a long day of driving, we were ready to call it a day.
As Ian started cooking dinner, I took Tiger out for his last walk of the night, and when we turned back toward the van to head in, there was the Milky Way.
It may as well have slapped me in the face it was shining so clearly, impossible to ignore, like an old neglected friend who’s just shown up at my door.
I went straight in and got out my A7III, with 12% battery remaining, and took a total of 7 photos before I heard something in the bushes and ran back into the van. I stacked two of those photos into this one, which is now our first official photo of the van with the Milky Way!
Here we are on our first night camping in the van with our latest updates. We camped at a campground at Silver Lake in June Lake, California, where Ian and I first met on a ski trip over 8 years ago.
So far, all is going smoothly on the road.
The van is surprisingly quiet considering all the new wood that we’ve added in the past 2 months (cedar ceiling and a second storage bench).
Tiger is doing great and is absolutely loving all the new smells and sights of #vanlife. We’re all enjoying nighttime walks around the campground together when the air is cooler and we’re surrounded by stars.
As it’s been a good three or four weeks since we’ve touched a camera, it felt good to finally break it out again for some astrophotography. Can’t wait to do it again tonight. 😁
Stay tuned for more #vanlife updates and photos from the road in our VanLife Chronicles blog post series.
Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram for even more stories from the van. If you haven’t already, subscribe to our newsletter for occasional email updates from our adventures — including our campervan tales.
As always, thanks for reading, watching, and following!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Travel Gear2019.11.13Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Inflatable Tandem Kayak [REVIEW]
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.08.13✧ A Lonely Lakeside Campsite in Little Salmon River and Our Luxury #VanLifeGoals ✧
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.08.07☆ Starry Nights with the Ones I Love ☆
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.08.07North to South’s VanLife Chronicles