In contrast to our urban existence in NYC last week, week fifteen was filled with shorelines and seafood. Mystic Seaport, Cape Cod, Boston, and Bar Harbor were on the itinerary this week. We hit the easternmost point of the U.S. in Lubec, Maine, and since the Canadian border was so close by, we pulled out our passports to explore Campobello Island, too.
Read on for photos and details of our eastern coastal road trip experience, from Connecticut to Campobello Island and (almost) everywhere in between!
Note: I’m still catching up on our weekly road trip re-caps! This one covers August 16-22.
States Visited This Week
- Rhode Island*
- New Hampshire*
*just passing through
Did you know lobster rolls are served warm or cold, depending where you are on the East Coast?
We had a (delicious) warm roll in Boston, and an interestingly cold one near Acadia National Park in Maine. But one thing stays the same: They’re fairly expensive!
States Visited in Previous Weeks
- Week One: California, Nevada, Arizona
- Week Two: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
- Week Three: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri
- Week Four – Six: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota
- Week Seven: Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alberta (Canada)
- Week Eight: North Dakota back to Chicago
- Week Nine – Twelve: Chicago & Oshkosh
- Week Thirteen: Chicago to Pittsburgh
- Week Fourteen: Hershey to New York City — Halfway to 50 States!
Total States Visited So Far: 30
California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine
- Mystic Seaport
- Wareham, Massachusetts
- Cape Cod National Seashore
- Lubec, Maine (Easternmost point of the U.S.)
- Acadia National Park
- Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada
- listening to Walcott by Vampire Weekend over and over again (“Walcott, don’t you know that it’s insane, don’t you wanna get outta Cape Cod, outta Cape Cod tonight…” and yes, I’m now listening to it over and over again as I’m writing this post.)
- enjoying a warm and buttery lobster roll on a summer day in Boston
- an unplanned camping trip to Campobello Island — in a super affordable cabin
Notes and Insights
- The East Coast has pretty bad light pollution. We tried some astrophotography near Cape Cod, but it definitely wasn’t ideal.
- We saw tons of spiders crawling over the rocks at the beach in Acadia National Park!
- Renting a cabin for camping on Campobello Island was surprisingly affordable ($39 CAD/night)
- Cold lobster roll = yuck.
Week 16 Preview
- A tiny house Airbnb in New Hampshire
- Hanging out in the Adirondacks at Adirondack Woodcraft Camps (my first time in a canoe!)
I hope you enjoyed this U.S. road trip re-cap! In case you missed them, check out our other weekly recaps from our road trip. Have you road-tripped to any of these U.S. locations? Tell us about your trips in the comments.
For the latest news and photos from our travels, follow us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter below!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Iceland2019.05.11Hanna Mia’s Icelandic Music and Storytelling: The best reviewed experience in Iceland lives up to its ratings
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.17[VIDEO] Camper Van Build Tour
- Ford Transit Camper Van2019.04.11Camper Van Update: Our First Trip!
- Books and Reading2019.01.2119 Books to Inspire You to Follow Your Dreams, Be Yourself, and Get Sh*t Done in the New Year