Ahhh, the Adirondacks. These two weeks were probably the most peaceful of our whole 50-state trip. Completely unplanned — as are most of our favorite trip highlights — we enjoyed a two-week stay in a private cabin at Adirondack Woodcraft Camps. We’d received the invitation from a new friend we met in Acadia National Park the previous week, and I’m glad we took him up on the offer!
Read on for the serene lake settings and wooded wanderings from our stay in the Adirondacks this summer, plus snapshots from our journey there.
Note: I’m still catching up on our weekly road trip re-caps! This one covers August 23 – September 5.
We started the first week departing from Maine, where we paused briefly at St. Croix Island National Historic Site (the first French settlement in North America), spent a couple of days in a tiny house in New Hampshire where we hiked a bit, and then continued west to Old Forge, NY.
Found this darling little cabin in New Hampshire on #airbnb and called it home for two days! Airbnb has seriously pulled through for us when the budget hotel booking apps have literally NOTHING available in the slightly more remote areas we’ve found ourselves in on this road trip. If you haven’t signed up yet, get $20 off your first booking with our link: airbnb.com/c/dsouthern
States Visited This Week
- New Hampshire
- New York
*just passing through
States Visited in Previous Weeks
- Week One: California, Nevada, Arizona
- Week Two: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
- Week Three: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri
- Week Four – Six: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota
- Week Seven: Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alberta (Canada)
- Week Eight: North Dakota back to Chicago
- Week Nine – Twelve: Chicago & Oshkosh
- Week Thirteen: Chicago to Pittsburgh
- Week Fourteen: Hershey to New York City — Halfway to 50 States!
- Week Fifteen: Exploring the Northeastern Coast
Total States Visited So Far: 31
California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont
- St. Croix Island International Historic Site (Calais, Maine)
- Franconia Notch State Park, New Hampshire — Flume Gorge hike
- Old Forge, New York
- Adirondack Woodcraft Camps — a sleep-away summer camp in Old Forge, NY
- Settled for longer than a few days, I was able to get started on my new travel outfit post series on Stylish Travel Girl.
- Diana’s first time in a canoe
- Hanging out with a cute puppy, a cool dog, and a seven-toed cat
- Getting in some night photography time around the lake at AWC
- Our hosts, Tim and Jess, treating us to a sunset dinner cruise in the Adirondacks!
Notes and Insights
- The famous “Adirondack” chair can really be seen everywhere in this area!
- We’re starting to realize that there are a surprising amount of cows and farmland in just about ever state in the U.S.
Week 18 Preview
- Niagara Falls and the Maid of the Mist boat ride
- Sight-seeing in Washington D.C.
- A visit to the International Zoo (and the bird I like to call a “flamingapus”)
- Visiting Ian’s family
- Randomly ending up in D.C. at the same time as my twin brother and visiting the International Spy Museum
I hope you enjoyed this U.S. road trip re-cap! In case you missed them, check out our other weekly recaps from our road trip. Have you road-tripped to any of these U.S. locations? Tell us about your trips in the comments.
For the latest news and photos from our travels, follow us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter below!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Travel Gear2018.11.20North to South’s Gear of the Year 2018
- Colorado2018.11.13A Magical Morning at Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge (Denver, Colorado)
- Florida2018.10.30The Best and Worst Rides and Attractions at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (Orlando, Florida)
- Nevada2018.10.28Burning Man 2018: Portraits of a Camp