Departing Myrtle Beach and continuing south, we started this week with a stop in colorful Charleston on our way to Savannah. The dreamy moss-covered oak tree scenery continued into the sunshine state, where we stopped to visit family, got a live-action dose of Harry Potter, and went to see a movie star in rehab. SPOILER ALERT: It was a dolphin!
Note: I’m still catching up on our weekly road trip re-caps! This one covers September 27 – October 3.
We timed our Charleston stop well, because just a few days later it was majorly flooding.
After spending a couple hours grabbing lunch and wandering around the town market in Charleston, we continued on down the coast to Savannah, which was a lovely southern for walking around. We stopped for a night before moving onward to state #41 (Florida) for the remainder of the week.
States Visited This Week
In Florida, we visited my grandma, aunt, uncle and cousins, and we bought a two-day pass to Universal Studios, where we spent one rainy and one sunny day exploring the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and tried to stomach all of the popular rides.
We also visited the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, home to Dolphin Tale star Winter, the famous dolphin with a prosthetic tail. I really like animals, so seeing all the animals having a good time undergoing rehab was a highlight for me. I especially liked watching the partially-paralyzed otter and participating in the stingrays’ feeding time. (The Aquarium offers a lot of educational animal encounters that you can participate in.)
Despite holding the fish (stingray food) the way the staff showed me, my whole finger ended up in a stingray’s mouth with the fish, but it didn’t bite me. It just felt cold and slimy!
States Visited in Previous Weeks
- Week One: California, Nevada, Arizona
- Week Two: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
- Week Three: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri
- Week Four – Six: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota
- Week Seven: Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alberta (Canada)
- Week Eight: North Dakota back to Chicago
- Week Nine – Twelve: Chicago & Oshkosh
- Week Thirteen: Chicago to Pittsburgh
- Week Fourteen: Hershey to New York City — Halfway to 50 States!
- Week Fifteen: Exploring the Northeastern Coast
- Week Sixteen & Seventeen: Maine to the Adirondacks
- Week Eighteen: Niagara Falls to Washington D.C.
- Week Nineteen: Maryland, West Virginia and Kentucky
- Week Twenty: Tennessee and the Carolinas
Total States Visited So Far: 41
California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Savannah, Georgia
- Universal Studios Florida (including the new Harry Potter World)
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium (featuring Winter the dolphin from Dolphin Tale)
- Anderson Park, Florida
- Visiting family in Florida
- Feeding the stingrays at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium and seeing Winter, a dolphin with a prosthetic tail
- Eating Georgia peaches in Georgia
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the interactive wand experience in Diagon Alley
- Being surrounded by beautiful live oak trees in Savannah
- Alligator spotting in Anderson Park
Notes and Insights
- Feeding a stingray seems scary, but it’s not so bad. Based on my experience at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, even if they accidentally try to eat your finger, it doesn’t hurt.
- Diagon Alley was more fun than Hogsmeade, and it also had the best Harry Potter ride: Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts. (The line for the main Hogsmeade ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, was also really fun, but I didn’t care for the ride because it made me feel sick.)
- Read more about our Universal Studios visit and which rides are the best here on the blog.
Week 22 Preview
- Sanibel Island, Florida
- Airboating in Everglades National Park
- Key West, Florida (and its many chickens)
- Mobile, Alabama
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Little Rock, Arkansas
I hope you enjoyed this U.S. road trip re-cap! In case you missed them, check out our other weekly recaps from our road trip. Have you road-tripped to any of these U.S. locations? Tell us about your trips in the comments.
For the latest news and photos from our travels, follow us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter below!
About the Author
- In March 2014, Diana called it quits on her traditional American working life and set out to explore the world with her partner in crime (and love of her life) Ian Norman. They now live a sustainable life of full time travel, working for themselves and seeking adventure at the same time. Here on North to South, Diana documents their journey in achieving and maintaining this "road less traveled" way of life.
- Ecuador2020.03.19Our Friends Are Stuck in Ecuador During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Here’s What’s Happening
- Ecuador2020.03.17What to Pack for the Galápagos Islands
- Ecuador2020.03.03Baltra vs. San Cristóbal: Which Galápagos Island is best to fly into?
- Ecuador2020.03.02How to Fly from the U.S. to the Galápagos Islands for Under $200